North Bengal St. Xavier’s College: A JESUIT INSTITUTION
The Jesuit tradition of education in India began in 1542 when St. Francis Xavier, one of the founding members of the Society of Jesus, reached Goa. Today the Jesuits have more than 295 High Schools, 50 colleges, 15 Management Institutes, and 22 Technical Institutes which engage approximately 11,225 teachers educating more than 3,24,500 students in India belonging to every social class, community and Linguistic group.
Some of the well known Jesuit Institutes of higher education in India are St. Xavier's College (Kolkata), St. Xavier's College (Mumbai), St. Xavier's College (Ranchi), St. Xavier's College (Ahmadabad), Loyola College (Vijayawada), Loyola College (Chennai), St. Joseph’s College (Tiruchirapally), St. Joseph’s College (Bangalore), Xavier Labour Relations Institutes-XLRI (Jamshedpur) and Xavier Institute of Management –XIMB (Bhubaneswar )
North Bengal St. Xavier’s College is a Christian Minority Institution established in 2007 by Darjeeling Jesuits of North Bengal with permanent affiliation to University of North Bengal.
The college offers undergraduate courses in Arts, Science, Commerce and Business Administration. It also offers UGC-affiliated career oriented courses.
The medium of instruction in the college is English. Students coming from vernacular medium institutions are encouraged to attend Special English Language classes offered by the college.
The college being a Jesuit higher education keeps it door open for all the sections of the society and rendering financial assistant to the talented ones, irrespective of caste and creed.
The community college section of North Bengal St. Xavier’s College gives skill training to the marginalized and the disadvantaged ones.
Inspired by the Gospel values and Ignatian ideals, North Bengal St Xavier’s College (NBSXC), Rajganj-Siliguri Campus, strives to be at the forefront of higher education by promoting academic excellence and creation of a just and humane society.
In line with the Jesuit tradition of education, we at NBSXC are committed to:
- Create and nurture a dynamic, intellectual, and reflective community that generates knowledge and promotes excellence;
- Prepare students, teachers, researchers and other professionals who become responsible leaders committed to social justice.
- Serve the regional and national educational communities regardless of race, religion and ethnicity through integral formation of personality and affective maturity.
- Form excellent leaders for service of humanity and transformation of the society and nation building.
- Nurturing academic excellence with integrity.
- Creating an inclusive educational environment and culture for teaching- learning.
- Facilitating atmosphere for creative learners and critical thinkers in the campus.
- Promoting intellectual depth through scholarly research by collaborating with other institutions of higher learning.
- Accompanying and caring for every student and staff in their personal growth.
- Fostering a spirit of unity, equity, and social justice among our academic community and other stakeholders.
The Alumni meeting of North Bengal St. Xavier’s college was held on the 26th of December, 2013. This meeting was preceded by two earlier meetings on 9th March 2013 and 16th October 2013. The initial meeting was attended by more than 50 alumni. On 26th December it was unanimously decided by the General Body that the Association will be called Xavier’s Alumni Association of North Bengal (XAANOB). The first Governing Body of the Association was formed with the following Office-bearers: Fr. Cherian Padiyara, S.J. (President), Anirban Modak (Vice President), Priyanka Karmakar (Secretary), Rajarshi Mohalanobish (Asstt. Secretary), and Debjyoti Dey Sarkar (Treasurer). The other members of the Governing Body are Fr. Wilfred Lobo, S.J (Nominee of Founder Body), Prof. Arindam Metia, Prof. Asim Mitra and Dr. Hadida Yasmin and among students Pooja Pareek, Abhilasha Jaiswal, Maria Nandi, Kaushani Mandal and Ashish Bajla.